This year has been tough on me since the onset of the Coronavirus. I had plans and goals that I have had to be put on hold or to change because of the pandemic. I was also sent on unpaid leave since businesses weren't doing well. At first, I thought it was going to be for a short while so I was okay with it. As the days went by, I got tired of staying home. Things only got worse and there was no indication of going back to work soon. I tried to avoid the feeling that something was missing. I didn't want to accept the sadness that was enveloping me every time I thought of my life. A few months ago, I was working and saving up and planning on buying something. Now, I worry about how I was going to pay rent or eat.  
adult boy alone with head on knees bulding

I know am not the only one. I have noticed from my social media, how coronavirus has affected people's lives. Nobody anticipated the virus and its repercussions. It has messed with our plans for this year. Some people are out of school, some have been let go from work and others are on unpaid leave. Other people had to move back home because they could not survive on their own.  Businesses are losing most of the profits they were getting. Relationships have been tested and some can't withstand the situation.

All these unforeseen changes have left people feeling sad or unhappy. Sadness can come in the form of pain, anguish, heartbreak, and even bitterness or anger. What you feel is a natural emotion and it happens to everyone. Don't try to ignore it or act like it is non-existent. It is okay to not feel okay. It's okay to not be happy all the time. Sadness may come from the loss of work, a break-up, an argument with a loved one, financial problems, family problems among other things. These are situations that most people go through.

Before I would try to ignore my feelings and bury them deep inside. That wasn't helpful or healthy. I would go for a few days and still feel the same. I realized accepting and acknowledging sadness is helpful. It helps you think of the reasons you are feeling sad and how you can work on the solution. You can find ways to stop the sadness. Acceptance and dealing with sadness also helps you know how to relate to a friend or family that might feel the same way later.

Some of the things that help when you are feeling down include;

1. Write/Journal. Whenever I am sad I write down all that am feeling and the reasons I may be feeling that way. I come out feeling better, as though I had unwound to a friend. It also helps my creative process. Writing down your feelings can help ease the pain.
person writing on notebook while holding coffee mug

2. Exercise. You don't have to do any hard exercise routines if you don't like exercise. Taking a walk or running will help lift your moods. Exercise releases endorphins, which are hormones that reduce pain and increase feelings of well-being.
man wearing tank top running near sea

3. Help someone out. Helping someone else can lift your spirit and makes you feel better afterward. So, the next time a friend is doing a project or your mum is going shopping, help out and see how it changes how you feel.

4. Cry. I cry and let everything out in tears when am sad. Crying is naturally therapeutic. After that, I feel like I have lifted a burden off me. Go to your room and let it all out, especially when the feelings are weighing heavy on your heart.
grayscale photography of woman with yellow pain under eyes in form of tears

5. Watch a movie or TV show you love. I  like sitcoms and most comedies. Laughing at all the silly things they do and say, lifts my mood up. Watch a rerun of Friends or How I Met Your Mother to have a good laugh.

6. Listen to music. Music is another way to feel good for a while. Choose a genre you like and listen to it while dancing, even if you are a bad dancer. Just dance.

7. Talk to someone. Talking make you feel the same way writing does. It alleviates the heaviness in your heart. You can talk to a friend or family. And if you have the money, talk to a professional. The person you are speaking to can also help you come up with solutions to your situation.

8. Sleep.  Sometimes we are sad because our bodies are exhausted from all that we have been involved in. All you need to do is take a nap and wake up feeling different.
woman sitting on a chair while leaning on laptop on a desk

9. Read the Bible and pray. This is always my first go-to move. God is always listening and helping. All you have to do is trust Him. Try it and see. 

All these tips do not guarantee that you will be happy after doing them. But they will help you feel better by easing your pain or burden and lifting up your moods.