Hello guys. 

Thank you so much for dropping by.

 I know it's been more than a little while since I've written and I ask you to bear with me. So much has been happening and the biggest thing to happen in my life is what I'll be writing about today.

These past few weeks I have been made to realize the importance of good health and always having medical check-ups. You see, we got the news that my dad's kidneys had both failed and he should have been getting dialysis like months ago. Now, I'm not saying that he didn't get checked up and that's why we are in this situation. I would blame it on the medical staff that is not keen on their jobs, but that would require another blog post. He had started feeling sick from kitambo and all they did is they recommended medicine for him. They did not think that the symptoms he had were kidney failure related. Anyway, so we suddenly got medical results that he had stage 5 kidney failure, and I began n to panic. He came from being 'okay' to full-on sick and it scared me. It occurred to me that you could lose someone in a split of a second. I worried so much about everything. I got sad and I couldn't think of doing anything let alone updating my blog.

So I thought my comeback should be about health and here are a few pointers I came up with and learned while I was away. 

1. Medical check-ups

Black woman on a medical recliner in a doctor's office


You see it in movies how parents insist on their children to show up for monthly medical checkups, and more than once, we've thought it's crazy to go see a doc when we feel perfectly okay. But the necessity of the process can never be overstated. You could feel perfectly fine and still have your body deteriorating slowly by slowly. Medical checks could help catch a disease early on and it could be managed before it's too late.

2. Practice healthy living

A meal and fruits in a bowl on a table


Most of us at some point have done something bad for us like drinking alcohol 3 days in a row or overindulging in fast foods in the name of YOLO but we have no idea how detrimental it could be to our bodies. We all know this but we ignore every warning we are given. We constantly order out KFC or meet up with friends for pizza and cocktails more times than is needed and we say we are young and healthy. I don't have to say it, overindulgence in fast foods is not good for you, however young you are. Take some steamed veggies or salad the next time you go meet a friend.

3. Always get a second opinion.

Sometimes you can feel like something is off and you go to the hospital and are told you are fine or there is no diagnosis. If you believe that something is wrong, always go for a second opinion from someone else. Human is to error and that includes our medical professionals. Don't stop until you get the same results from someone else. That way, if there is something that was missed it can be caught before it's too late.

4. Create Positive Energy Around the Sick

A quote on positivity on a small board


I know it's not easy but if you get someone with a diagnosis so terrible then try and be a source of joy and encouragement to them. My dad got the news and his blood pressure shot up for days he had to be admitted. He at some point spoke of dying. We thought it was because he was overthinking and worried. He needed people to tell him he would be okay. He wanted to know he wasn't alone and he was strong enough to get through it. Try and tell stories with the sick and make jokes to make them laugh. If you can, steer clear of talks concerning the sickness.

5. Check up on your friends.

My dad's illness was something that is particularly scary and big happening in my life. I felt the need to mention this because I am honored to have amazing friends in my life. I had people call and text me asking how my dad and I were doing and it felt great to feel like I wasn't alone. Thank you to everyone who showed support during this time. I'm truly grateful.

The people who are being supportive also need someone else's support.

6. Have Medical insurance

When we are paying for NHIF we don't realize how important it will be. Some people, don't pay for medical insurance until they get formal employment that requires it. Let me assure you that it's for your good. It helps in times you get sick and you have no cash with you. Always put away around 500/= for your medical insurance and you won't regret it.


In conclusion, our health is something that we should always keep in mind in everything we do.